For my smoothies, blueberries and strawberries are the top pick for berries. The raspberries have little seeds that don’t break up in my standard blender. The vitamix 750 breaks up the seeds if left on long enough.
Kale, Parsley and Berry Smoothie
Inspired by a Bon Appetite recipe.
- 1 tablespoon raw walnuts (to bring out the fat soluble nutrients in the kale; optional if using coconut milk, almond milk or milk with fat content)
- 1 scoop Vega Sport Performance Vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup green grapes or 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1.25 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4-1/2 cup (packed) flat-leaf parsley (leaves and stems)
- 2 cups packed kale (large woody stems and ribs removed)
- 1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries (about 5 whole)
- 1 cup frozen organic blueberries
- 1 frozen medium banana
Blend protein powder, grapes/honey, milk, walnuts (optional) and parsley first. Then add kale. Blend well. Add fruit last. Add more milk or water as needed for desired consistency.
If using a vitamix, put on smoothie preset and use tamper to push down kale and fruits. Let it run for entire duration of smoothie preset.
Alterations: Other green veggies can be added to this: savoy, bok choy, spinach, and even broccoli.
Serving Size: 4.5-5 cups
** Updated recipe on 05Feb2014