I started using eMeals.com for weekly meal planning. Little did I know that $5/month would save me headaches and time spent looking up/deciding which recipes to make for the week. Although the app has a favorites feature, this recipe will get overlooked because it’s a side dish (eMeals.com March 22 – 28, 2017, Vegetarian plan).
In wanting to document this recipe for future use – because I have made it twice now in a short 3 days span – I’ve transformed it in the below recipe to be a meal instead. I’m on the vegetarian plan so the below meal is vegan, but it can easily be paired with shredded chicken or taco meat and even some cheese.
- ¾ cup long-grain brown or white rice
- ½ Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or about 1 cup cooked beans)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Roma or small tomatoes, chopped
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 4 cups unpacked spinach
- 4 Tbsp salsa (your favorite brand and spice level)
- 1 avocado, sliced
Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add corn, beans and garlic, and cook 2 minutes.
Stir in tomato, salt and pepper. Heat for 2 minutes. Add rice to skillet, and toss to combine. Heat for 1 minute.
In a single serving bowl, place half of the mixture on 2c bed of spinach and top with 2 Tbsp salsa and 1/2 avocado. Repeat in a second single serving bowl with the remainder of the ingredients.
* Top with pre-cooked meats or cheese if desired.