1 medium fennel bulb with stalks
2 teaspoons olive oil or coconut oil
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup prechopped onion
1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
1/3 cup orange juice or 3 clementines peeled and blended
10 pitted kalamata olives, quartered
1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, drained or 6 roma tomatoes diced
1 cup whole-wheat couscous or quinoa prepared
1. Trim tough outer leaves from fennel; mince feathery fronds to measure 2 tablespoons. Remove and discard stalks. Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise; discard core. Vertically slice fennel bulb, then cut in half.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until well browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3. Add sliced fennel, onion, and carrot to pan; cook 3 minutes. Add cinnamon and red pepper, if desired; cook 1 minute. Add orange juice, olives, and tomatoes. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add chicken and accumulated juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
4. Prepare couscous or quinoa per directions
5. Serve chicken and vegetables over couscous/quinoa. Top with fennel fronds.