Butternut and Kale are vitamin rich vegetables so this smoothie packs a punch! This smoothie has an amazing amount of potassium, vitamin A, Vitamin C, high in fiber and about half of your daily iron. Would be a great treat if you are coming down with a cold or had a difficult workout and need to renew.
How to cook butternut squash
Cooking the butternut squash first and then either freezing it for later or adding it to the smoothie after it’s cool is an option over eating it raw.
- Cook it in your oven on a baking tray at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. You don’t have to chop it before you cook it, just put it in the oven whole.
- After it’s cooked and cools, cut it in half and remove the skin and seeds. A majority of the skin will fall with little effort.
- Freeze in 2.5 cup portions so you can make this smoothie in a jiffy later on.
Butternut Squash & Kale Smoothie Recipe
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts
- 1 cup Milk – So Delicious, Coconut Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 4 g (1 Tsp) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Cup Craisins or Raisins
- 2 scoop (21.5g) 365 Whole Foods – Whey Protein Powder-Natural Vanilla Flavor (optional)
- 2.5 cup Butternut Squash, mashed
- 3.5 cup Kale – Raw, leaves torn
- 1 medium Banana, frozen
Place all ingredients except banana and kale into blender. Blend, add remaining ingredients until smooth.
Nutritional Content (for 5 cups of smoothie mix):
Calories 869 kcal
Total Fat 28g
Saturated Fat 6g
PolyUnsaturated Fat 15g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbs 118g
Dietary Fiber 21g
Vitamin A 1475%
Vitamin C 502%