My gluten free baking adventures started with this recipe after receiving zucchini in my CSA box for over two months. The recipe has simple ingredients that you find in your everyday household. In my view recipes are meant to be changed, modified, and tinkered with to see what blossoms.
In my exploration, the recipe has been modified for my own tastes and health benefit by adding cloves, whey protein and flaxseed for example.
During experimentation, some left over maraschino cherries ended up in a batch because they were about to expire. Turned out having those little bursts of red and sweet surprises works well. Who doesn’t like chocolate and cherries?!
The below recipe is what I’ve come up with so far. If you happen make this and want to share how you liked them or what you tinkered with, please comment.
Gluten Free, Nut free and Dairy Free Cherry Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Yields: 12 muffins
- 2 cups of oat flour (I use a food processor to ground rolled oats into a flour)
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of baking cocoa (feel free to blend dark and natural cocoa for a more chocolatey look)
- 1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cloves
- 2 scoops vanilla or chocolate flavored vegan protein powder (optional)
- 3 Tbsp of ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt
- 3/4 cup of applesauce
- 2 eggs (see momables website for substitutions)
- 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2c water
- 1/4-1/2c honey (optional)
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded or finely grated
- 3/4 cup of chocolate chips (I purchase the dairy free morsels)
- 14 maraschino cherries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease two 12 count muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking cocoa, protein powder, flaxseed).
- Mix wet ingredients separately in small bowl (eggs, vanilla, applesauce, honey).
- Combine wet and dry until evenly blended.
- Add zucchini, cherries, chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour batter evenly into each muffin cavity.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and top each with a few additional chocolate chips (optional).
- Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container for 2 days or freeze in a plastic bag for 1-2 months.
Short link: http://bit.ly/1du2L15